- WHAT MEMBERS SAID
“Each generation must discover its mission, fulfill it, or betray it. Quite frankly, my siblings, it’s our turn. It’s our turn to decide that saving the world is actually going to be our destiny.”
- “Stop fossil fuel corporations from gouging us while they profit from war and increase emissions which overheat the planet and kill us!”
- ”I’ve had to evacuate my mother from encroaching fires many times. She’s 94 now and can’t move fast! Very worried about the fire season in CA which is almost all year now!”
- “Because of the warming climate, ticks (with diseases) have been going further north in MN. As a result, me and ALL of my friends have gotten lyme disease in the last few years ...”
- “We've had to shelter in place from smoke so many times”
- “We inherited the land from our ancestors, we must do our best to pass it on to our children as well as possible."
TIME FOR ACTION
Although we have the power to make changes in our personal lives to help protect the planet, we all know that larger-scale change will depend on those we elect to our state and federal legislators. EVP Gerry Hudson led a panel on what we need to do to get climate champions into elected offices across the country. "We know that it is imperative that we act now. We must go out in this election cycle and put in office people who actually represent our interests on jobs, our interests on climate, our interest on racial justice...and we need to be in the streets and at rallies-- then we can put our country on the road to a clean energy economy that works for all," said Hudson. Next, Leah Donahey of the League of Conservation Voters (LCV) helped us understand the priorities for environmental groups at the national level, while SEIU’s Desmond Serrett showed us the path to victory leading to this November.